Saturday, February 20, 2016

"Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us"- Linda Christensen


Argument: 
Christensen shares one of her own personal experiences as a teacher. She describes an assignment that she gave her students. The outcome of the assignment was the idea that societies favorite movies and t.v. shows have a "secret education" hidden behind them.

The study that Linda Christensen's students took part in proved the hidden stereotypes woven into our favorite childhood movies and cartoons. The "secret education" as Christensen refers to it is especially fitting.The part of her article I want to focus on is the concept of self image. 

 I do agree that in some ways our favorite cartoons and movies have manipulated us with many unrealistic expectations of what is desired by society. My favorite example is, the female lead roles always having the hour glass body shape, clear skin,  just flawless. Followed by the handsome prince falling in love with them. Oh if only it were that simple...

However, I think that Disney has made an effort to include other cultures and nationalities into their movies. For example, Mulan, Pocahontas, Aladdin. I know that plenty of people could find countless negative things to point out about those movies but I think its a start. It's important to acknowledge that we have come a long way. Christensen's student, Kenya (African American) shared her feelings towards Disney movies. Her negative attitude about the lack of African American lead roles was extremely justified during the time this study was done (pg.131). I babysit ALOT and on  Disney Jr. they now play a show called "The Princess and the Frog" starring an African American princess, Tiana. It really excited me to finally see that. 
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/disney/images/21418751/title/princess-tiana-wallpaper


Comments/ Points to Share: I think it is great that a variety of races and cultures are being included in Disney movies, but I think a major issue with negative body image still exist as a result of the media and needs to be acknowledged. Young girls especially are highly vulnerable to the messages that the most popular movies and t.v. shows are sending out. Personally, I have to admit that it is something that has affected me. Seriously, where did these ridiculous standards for women come from? 

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog post and that you did stand up for Disney in saying they have tried to include other cultures, other ethnicities and other improvements as well. I also agree with how many fairytales have almost manipulated us in thinking that Prince Charming will just fall out of the sky even they we all know we need to look HARD to find a prince. I enjoyed it a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job in your post. I agree with Nicole, I like that you stood up for Disney because it is important that they have characters of different ethnicities because it is important for young kids to see that everyone is different and that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Disney is trying to make an effort to include people of different races. Like when Princess and the frog came out everyone was freaking out because it was the first African American princess! It was a huge change from the princesses mainly being Caucasian. It is a start to something and Disney is trying!

    ReplyDelete