Sunday, February 28, 2016

Safe Spaces: Making Schools and Communities Welcoming to LGBT Youth -By: Annemarie Vaccaro, Gerri August, and Meghan S. Kennedy


Reflection/ Connection: 
I really enjoyed reading "Safe Spaces", because it discussed a topic that I feel especially strong about. The article discussed the importance of introducing and welcoming LGBT society to youth. The chapter also acknowledges the consequences of not welcoming the topic of LGBT into youth classrooms. Youth classrooms should be considered a "safe space", students have the right to an education and they should be able to receive that education comfortably.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvg564nl8q1qexfpuo1_500.jpg
I get especially defensive when the subject of LGBT society comes up because I have an older brother who is gay. He came out as gay when he was a freshmen in high school, which to me is incredibly brave and admirable. I remember him being teased as a kid for wanting to play with barbies and play dress up with me. In middle school, kids used to come up to me and say things like, "Why does your brother talk like a girl?" and it really irritated me. After reading this article it clearly demonstrates why welcoming LGBT into youth classrooms is important.  Obviously my brother felt different, out of place,isolated because nobody ever spoke of being gay, therefore all his classmates had to judge him because to them he was "different". Fortunately, I have wonderful, loving, accepting parents who fully support my brother no matter what. However, I think that the students reactions may have been different if LGBT had been introduced in our classrooms. 
This article is a great representation of Grinner's "SCWAAMP". Straightness is the highly valued sexuality in society. Therefore, it causes any other sexuality to be seen as taboo. This idea could also be applied to Delpit's "Culture of Power". Straightness holds all of the power in society, straightness is what is assumed as normalcy. But really, who has the right to decide that? There are so many brilliant, successful LGBT people out there who deserve the same amount of respect as those who are straight. For example, take a look at these 50 Famous Gay People.
Comments/Points to Share: There was one quote from the article that really stood out to me. One of the students stated, "In my opinion, children at any age shouldn't be educated about that (because) I see it as a perversion and not a natural way of loving someone" (pg.93). This is really upset me. In my opinion, no it actually is a quite natural way of loving someone. People do not make the decision to be gay, bi, or transgender. It blows my mind that people actually believe someone would put themselves in a situation that caused them to feel isolated from society. It is biological. Every one deserves to love and to be loved. If you look up the term, love in the dictionary the definition does not specify that it is a requirement to love only the opposite sex. :)

3 comments:

  1. Great post of your understanding of the content and great personal story of your older brother which helped bring and understanding to the topic that it could be anybody who is LGBT and should be treated with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great connection between the article and your own person experience. And I completely agree. LGBT is something that should be talked about early in the classroom. As I talked about in my reflection, I was never really educated on it during my K-12 years, so when in 11th grade one of my classmates came out, everyone made a big deal about it because none of us had ever been educated on it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you added a personal connection to the article. It really shows that this kind of negative behavior towards LGBT students really is happening in schools. The children at my work often ask "is this a boy toy or a girl toy" and I make sure that I encourage the idea that anyone can play with the toys. Great post!

    ReplyDelete