Saturday, February 13, 2016

"Aria" By: Richard Rodriguez 
I thought this picture perfectly exemplified the meaning of this article.  Society values English and has made it the clear that it is the "public" language. In Richards case the shapes trying to fit into the circular hole, represent he and his family. The circular hole represents his teachers and society. They neglect to understand how much of an impact depriving them of their culture has on them individually and as a family. tumblr_inline_n37j2kXper1qfb043.jpg 
Reflection/ Connections: 

I really appreciated Rodriguez sharing his personal experiences in this article. I felt like I was able to connect to his feelings and experiences to a certain extent. Luckily, being American and having English as my first language, I have never encountered a situation like the one Richard and his family did. However, I connected to the author on a more sympathetic level. It made me think of my family and I. I love to go home to my family because I share such a close, unique bond with them outside of society. I believe that is what makes us a family. In Rodriguez's article he discusses how tight knit he and his family were. A huge part of that was contributed by their culture and the language that they shared, their "private language". Something about sharing a separate language than the rest of society made the author and his family connect more intimately. Richards unfortunate experience made me think back to Lisa Delpit, and her idea of the "Culture of Power". Not once did Richards teachers demonstrate that they were interested in him as a unique individual, or welcome his culture into the classroom. As a future educator that part of the article really infuriated me. Why is it okay to deprive someone of their own culture? Inside AND outside the classroom? Or really anywhere for that matter. 

Questions/ Points to share: Why is it necessary that only Richard learn English? Why can't the teachers and  students make an effort to learn a little Spanish as well? I think this would be a great idea, it would bring the class closer together. People deserve the right to their own culture!!!

5 comments:

  1. I really liked the picture you chose in this post. It perfectly describes what Richard and his family went through. I agree that letting go of their native language affected them both individually and as a family. I think it's important that teachers respect the fact that each family as something that makes them special and that holds them together. After learning English, Richard didn't even know how to communicate with his parents, and that is not something that children should have to struggle through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture was used perfectly! I feel like once we are teachers we will find a way to intertwine different cultured students into our classrooms. I feel like Richard did a great job giving his personal experiences. I agree with you- it helped understand what it was like to be Hispanic but have to learn English in school and outside of school. I was so upset when Richard explained that it made him and his family separated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your question/point to share was basically what I wrote on Carlene's blog and I completely agree. A single student should not be singled out and only them have to learn English. Everyone should benefit from having a bilingual student and learn about their culture and words they frequently use.
    I also like the picture you chose because it does "show" Richard and his family's struggle when learning a completely new language. Like what Carlene said, Richard should not have had to struggle to communicate with his family after learning English...no child should ever have trouble communicating with their family or parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you picked a great choice for your picture. It really does explain the issue well and clearly. I think it would be an interesting if there were teachers who actually made difficult cultures a part of their daily school routine. Children should be comfortable to express their culture and I think school would be a better place for them and they would actually look forward to going rather then nervous because their English isn't good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like we were on the same page after reading this article, it concerns me how many students may feel left out and unintelligent because of the lack of comfort in relation to culture in the classroom. I completely agree that it should be a part of the teachers focus to be sure that all students in the classroom are comfortable enough to open up and talk in front of the class. I also began to wonder what we as future teachers can do to make our classrooms a friendlier environment that makes everyone feel safe and comfortable. I'm sure easier said then done. Also the photo was a perfect representation for this article and I liked how you explained how it relates!

    ReplyDelete